Thursday, March 22, 2012

Degree of Exploration (Stretch and Explore)

1. My drawings capture the gesture of the figure pretty well.  In this figure, I wanted to focus on creating a gesture without any part of the core of the body and primarily focusing on the legs and arms of the body.  In doing so, I will be able to create a figure that has protruding, curvy elements instead of bland, straight elements.  I think my drawings portray this idea very well.

2. I explored the simplifying and abstracting processes for the gestures a lot while creating my gesture because by not including very much of the core/abdomen in the figure, I will be able to use this abstract idea to create a structure with only the legs, arms and head.  This creates a more simplified version of the human body and also creates a more abstract figure that can be understood in a multitude of ways.

3. Over the course of the project, I have realized that in designing my figure, I have to be more realistic and expect that throughout the project, everything that could go wrong will indeed go wrong.  By having this mindset, I am always ready for the worst and can always have a plan B if need be.  At first, I wanted to create a structure that was so complex it would be impossible to create it with the time given.  By engaging and persisting, I think I have found a gesture that is possible to create under the given time frame and will look great as well.

4. In terms of my box, I chose a quart box to use for the plaster.  I wanted to use this box because by using a long and skinny box, I am better preparing myself to chip away from the plaster to create a long and slender figure.  Using a long/skinny box is more efficient for my project because then I have to spend less time chipping away the excess plaster and more time focusing on the details of the abstract piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment